Naval combat involves different types of Ships with varying capabilities, armaments and roles to play out on the high seas. There will be a balance and counterbalance between ships from PvP and PvE perspectives.
- Naval PvP is between ships.
- Naval PvE includes open sea raids and sea-based bosses.
- Certain ship classes and components may support ramming of other vessels or raid bosses.
- Naval warfare.
- Naval raid bosses.
- Three ship classes will be present in Alpha-2.
- The result of events (such as guild wars or node wars) between the parties.
- When the ships move into an area that automatically flags them for combat.
- As the result of open-world PvP, utilizing the flagging and corruption system.
Guns and gunpowder
- Ships will utilize a larger form of potion launcher in place of canons. These canons will be able to be equipped with different potions that have different effects.
- I previously said there was not going to be gunpowder in Ashes. What there will be is something very similar to gunpowder but has a more arcane nature to it. It's not necessarily going to be explainable through the conventional means of chemistry, metallurgy, and physics and what not, but rather the Essence is the core component of many types of magic, one of which is obviously going to be evocation type magic; and that evocation can have some explosive tendencies. – Steven Sharif
As we said in the past, were not really about that black powder life. Instead it's really going to be focused on the arcane arts: The elements; the use of radiance and darkness; and then those being employed in larger weaponry, such as the type of siege weaponry between ship battles as well as those and sieges. A potion launcher is an example of the arcane energies that can be mastered in order to facilitate these highly destructive alchemical blends that can be created. – Steven Sharif
- Ship creation is generally delegated to players. There won't be many non-player-owned ships.
- Permissions will be present to allow other players to access ship functions who are in the same party or raid, such as weapons, anchors, utility items, and the ship's helm to navigate the ship.
- Players will have quests that navigate them toward creating a personal vessel at around level 10-15.
- Ships (excluding Naval caravans) can only be summoned from a port or harbor.
- Ships may be able to be summoned in rivers (or other bodies of water) depending on the depth of the water.
- Naval caravans are initiated when a land-based caravan intersects with an ocean.
- You can summon your ships up but you'll need to summon them from land, which means that if something happens to your armada out at sea you won't have backups to just summon immediately in the middle of the fight... They'll have to do so from shore somewhere from some port or harbor. – Steven Sharif
Ship building is a crafting profession that is able to construct ship components based on blueprints that unlock capabilities that scale with their progression within the ship building profession.
- Movement, Durability, Speed, Turn rate, Hit points, Defensive and Damage abilities.
- Weapon slots.
- Aesthetic customization.
- Ship components can be sold to other players.
You can have the base value of a hull. That hull might have certain placements that are available when it comes to utility slots and/or weapon slots for the ship. Essentially you are going to have that hull itself be augmented by constructibles via the ship building profession. – Steven Sharif
- Ships may only be crafted or upgraded in harbor crafting stations that are unlocked by the advancement of coastal nodes.
You will not need to be a ship builder profession to construct ships. The shipbuilder profession particularly they have the ability to craft components of the ships which increases the ship's capabilities, defenses, speeds, turn rate, offense and defense, you know all those types of things and then they can sell those to other players. – Steven Sharif
- Players can choose which "joints" get populated with either offensive (weaponry), defensive, or utility attachments they want on their ship prior to construction completion.
Ships are going to also have classes. Those classes are going to dictate the type of of attachments that can be applied and in what quantity. A military vessel type may have more capacity for weapon based attachments. A transport ship might have more capacity for defensive based attachments. And then you'll have more versatile ships that can share across those types. So in that sense you are constructing a componentized ship for the types of activities you intend to do: Are you a raider? Are you a mover of goods? Are you an adventurer? These types of things are going to inform your decision of what the attachments you're going to have in those three categories. – Steven Sharif
- There is no "recall" (fast-travel) option to return to shore, however death by drowning will respawn the player on shore but will incur experience debt (and other death penalties).
- We don't have a recall... There is consequence for you losing the means of your mobility and if you lost the means of that mobility then those consequences are it's going to take you longer to get to where you need to go, or you're going to have to suffer some experience debt. – Steven Sharif
- I mean traditionally if we did not use dynamic destruction, that what we would use is decals to simulate damage on the ship based on an overall hit point value. At certain hit point values we would swap out the mesh to show a more destructive state potentially; and that and you know at that point for a user in regards to immersion you know both are very similar from the immersion factor right? – Steven Sharif
- Стрим, 31 March 2022 (1:10:43).
- Стрим, 28 July 2017 (47:53).
- Стрим, 29 April 2022 (1:03:25).
- Стрим, 28 June 2019 (1:12:08).
- Стрим, 30 September 2020 (41:13).
- Подкаст, 29 September 2021 (59:29).
- Стрим, 27 September 2018 (54:02).
- Стрим, 30 November 2020 (24:51).
- Стрим, 30 April 2021 (1:06:41).
- Ashes of Creation Store: The Gilded Galleon.
- Подкаст, 29 September 2021 (56:50).
- Подкаст, 15 November 2020 (22:22).
- Стрим, 16 June 2017 (43:01).
- Интервью, 17 August 2018 (17:57).
- Ashes of Creation Store: Tea transport.
- Стрим, 31 October 2018 (54:21).
- Стрим, 28 May 2021 (1:52:15).
- Стрим, 24 September 2021 (1:26:46).
- Стрим, 30 July 2021 (1:14:04).
- Стрим, 29 April 2022 (1:08:27).
- Стрим, 29 May 2020 (1:28:38).
- Подкаст, 11 May 2018 (11:51).
- Стрим, 25 July 2020 (1:59:09).
- Интервью, 19 July 2020 (48:05).
- Стрим, 19 May 2017 (50:45).
- Подкаст, 15 November 2020 (23:30).
- Стрим, 9 July 2018 (30:35).
- Стрим, 25 February 2022 (1:15:50s).
- Стрим, 29 October 2021 (1:15:57).
- Интервью, 17 August 2018 (36:29).
- Стрим, 26 July 2019 (1:07:22).